As a member of CPA Alberta, it’s important to understand the resignation process and options before choosing to resign.
Below are steps to complete the process. You can also review some helpful information, here.
Resignation is the formal cessation of a CPA membership while in good standing. This means once a member’s resignation is approved, they are no longer a designated accountant in Alberta and will not be able to use or display the CPA designation (or any legacy designation), represent themselves as a CPA (or any legacy designation) to the public in Alberta, or receive access to CPA Alberta's membership benefits and services, including the CPA Insurance Plans West Benefits Program.
To complete the resignation process, follow these steps:
- Complete the resignation request form and submit to email@example.com.
- Return all Alberta membership certificate(s) issued. This includes the CPA and legacy certificates (provincial and national) that have been issued.
- Return all Alberta membership cards issued (if any). This affects members holding the legacy CGA designation.
- If, in addition to membership, the applicant holds a registration of a professional accounting firm (PAF) or professional corporation (PC), these registrations must be properly ceased prior to CPA Alberta accepting the resignation. For additional information about ceasing the registration of a PAF click here, and for information about ceasing a PC, click here.
- A member cannot be in arrears for payment of fees, levies, fines, costs or any penalties. In order to avoid penalties, please ensure all documentation is received by the CPA Alberta prior to the published penalty assessment deadlines.
Once all these requirements have been submitted, the resignation application will be reviewed and approved by CPA Alberta. Until approval, the applicant is still considered a member of CPA Alberta and is subject to the ongoing requirements and obligations of membership.
Alternatives are also available to members who are looking to retire or are moving to another province.
If have any questions about the resignations process or additional options, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.