Internationally Trained Professionals

I am an internationally trained professional

Looking to start your accounting career in Alberta as an internationally trained accountant? Good news – becoming a CPA in Alberta may be simpler than you think.

CPA Alberta has established agreements with professional accounting bodies around the globe, allowing you to streamline the process of becoming a CPA in Alberta.

*Please note, the below Reciprocal Membership Agreements and the Mutual Recognition Agreements may change at any time. 

Reciprocal Membership Agreements (RMAs)

Approval for admission to membership solely qualifies the applicant for certification as a CPA in Alberta; it does not provide the rights to practice professional or public accounting. All CPA members are required to meet Alberta’s Professional Accounting Firm Registration Criteria (PAFRC). More information on the professional and public accounting requirements can be found here.

If you are a Canadian CPA seeking an international designation, please visit: Information for Canadian CPAs seeking international designations.

Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs)

The following international accounting bodies currently have a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) with CPA Alberta. If you are a member in good standing with one of these bodies, you may be eligible to earn your Canadian CPA designation.

For more information, please visit: Mutual Recognition Agreements.

International Federation of Accountants (IFAC)

Internationally-trained accountants who are active members in good standing with accounting institutions that are International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) member bodies without an MOU with CPA Canada are admitted directly to the professional education program at Core 1. You are not required to complete any prerequisite courses to be admitted.

To be assessed for CPA PEP, IFAC designates are to request a transcript assessment through My CPA portal. Please see the Transcript Assessment page for more details.

Please visit the CPA Western School of Business website for further details on IFAC members.

Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)

An agreement that specifies the criteria by which members of one body are eligible for membership in the other body. For more information on admission through an MoU, please visit the CPA Western School of Business website.

Contact us

Contact a member of our team who will discuss your pathway options. 

Don't forget to check out our networking events where you can meet our team in-person! We would be happy to meet you and answer any questions 

CPA Alberta’s brochures for internationally trained professionals reflects the diversity that exists in the CPA profession. The brochure features Alberta CPAs who lived, studied, and worked abroad before moving to Canada. While here, they overcame different barriers, leveraged their international credentials to achieve their designation, and are now thriving in their careers. The brochures also outlines the path to becoming a CPA and other valuable details about the CPA designation.


The below agencies support new Albertans with settlement and integration resources. CPA Alberta works closely with these organizations to help new Canadians become CPAs or transition their credentials. Click each organization's logo to learn more.
Immigrant Services Calgary logo

A variety of services are available in the community including mentorship, ESL support, work-readiness training, and more.

This is just a partial list of community service providers, but a good place to start if you’re looking for help getting into a rewarding job and career.

If you have any questions regarding programs for internationally-trained professionals, please contact our Diversity Advisor.

Resources for new Canadians
Share this page