Certified Public Accountants of Australia
This MRA is for those individuals who have been admitted to CPA Australia by completing the final part of the CPA Australia professional qualification and satisfying CPA Australia practical experience requirements.
The requirements for this MRA are as follows:
- You must be a Canadian Citizen or legally permitted to work or study in Canada (for more information, visit the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship at www.cic.gc.ca);
- Have attained a minimum of 2 years of pre-designation international employment in the accounting profession outside of Canada, immediately prior to receiving your foreign designation (a reduction of this time may be requested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information);
- Not currently subject to any disciplinary sanctions and have not been subject to any disciplinary sanctions within the last five years prior to applying for membership under this MRA;
- Complete the CPA Reciprocity Professional Development (CPARPD).
Step 1 - In order to complete the pre-assessment process, you are required to create a record in our system. You may do that here. Select “Create Account” and enter in your information. You will be required to enter in a username and password. Please note that your password must be minimum eight characters, at least one letter, one number and one special character.
Once you have created an account you will receive an email with an activation code so you can activate your account.
From the landing page click on Action Centre>My Tasks. Then click on “Pre-assessment Questionnaire”. Complete all fields with an * and submit. Within 5 – 10 business days (volume dependent) of receiving the completed PAQ we will notify you of your eligibility to proceed.
Step 2 - While your PAQ is being reviewed, complete the Request for Certification of Membership with a GAA Member Body form or a verification letter and have it sent directly to CPA Alberta, 800 444 7 Ave SW Calgary AB T2P 0X8 Attn: Member Registrations. Please do not upload your personal copy of the verification documentation to your file.
The verification letter must state the following:
- When you received your designation;
- You did not receive your CPA Australia designation by virtue of a third party agreement CPA Australia has with any other accounting bodies;
- You have not had or have had a history of discipline in the last 5 years;
- No outstanding discipline or complaints.
Step 3 - Request an evaluation of your university transcripts by International Qualifications Assessment Service, or World Education Services to ensure Canadian equivalency and request the results be sent directly to CPA Alberta attention Member Registrations. The Bachelor of Science in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes University is a recognized degree. If you hold this degree, we will require official transcripts to be sent from Oxford Brookes University to CPA Alberta Attn: Member Registrations. Note: CPA Australia program cannot be used as a degree equivalent. Please do not upload a personal copy of your degree assessment to your file.
Step 4 - The registration form for the CPA Reciprocity Professional Development (CPARPD) course, will be sent to you once it has been determined you qualify to proceed through the MRA. Once completed, submit the certificate of completion to CPA Alberta.
After we receive your certification of completion for the CPARPD course, you have completed the pre-assessment process and if eligible, notification will be sent to you so you may go online to complete the application process.
The requirements listed above are for the current MRA and are subject to change at any time.
Please note: Approval for admission to membership solely qualifies the applicant for certification as a CPA in Alberta; it does not provide the rights to practice professional or public accounting. All CPA members are required to meet Alberta’s Professional Accounting Firm Registration Criteria (PAFRC). More information in regards to the professional and public accounting requirements can be found on our website.