Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
This MRA is for those individuals who have qualified as a member of CIMA by completing the entire CIMA program and satisfying CIMA’s practical experience requirements. Applicants who completed part of the program through a third organization and received advanced standing may not be eligible.
The requirements for this MRA are as follows:
- You must be a Canadian Citizen or legally permitted to work or study in Canada (for more information, visit the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship at www.cic.gc.ca);
- You must be residing in a the provincial body where you are applying;
- Have attained a minimum of 2 years of pre-designation international employment outside of Canada, in the accounting profession, immediately prior to receiving your foreign designation (a reduction of this time may be requested, contact contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information);
- Hold a university degree recognized by CPA Canada;
- Started the CIMA program prior to emigrating to Canada;
- No outstanding disciplinary charges or outstanding complaints that are in the course of investigation;
- Meet the 30 months minimum Practical Experience requirement;
- Complete the CPA Reciprocity Professional Development (CPARPD) course, by registering with CPA Alberta.
Step 1 - In order to complete the pre-assessment process, you are required to create a record in our system. You may do that here. Select “Create Account” and enter in your information. You will be required to enter in a username and password. Please note that your password must be minimum eight characters, at least one letter, one number and one special character.
Once you have created an account you will receive an email with an activation code so you can activate your account.
From the landing page click on Action Centre>My Tasks. Then click on “Pre-assessment Questionnaire”. Complete all fields with an * and submit. Within 5 – 10 business days (volume dependent) of receiving the completed PAQ we will notify you of your eligibility to proceed.
Step 2 - While your PAQ is being reviewed, you may request a letter of good standing and transcript from CIMA to be sent directly to CPA Alberta at 800-444 7 Ave SW, Calgary AB T2P 0X8, attention Member Registrations. Please do not upload your personal copy of the verification documentation or transcripts to your file.
The verification letter must state the following:
- When you received your designation;
- You did not receive your CIMA designation by virtue of a third party agreement CIMA has with any other accounting bodies;
- You have not had or have had a history of discipline in the last 5 years;
- No outstanding discipline or complaints.
Step 3 - Request an evaluation of your university transcripts by International Qualifications Assessment Service, or World Education Services to ensure Canadian equivalency and request the results be sent directly to CPA Alberta attention Member Registrations. Note: CIMA program cannot be used as a degree equivalent. Please do not upload a personal copy of your degree assessment to your file.
Step 4 - Once it has been determined you qualify to proceed for membership via this MRA, you will be sent the International Practical Experience Verification forms (IPEV). Complete these forms for all employers and have your supervisors sign and submit directly to CPA Alberta for evaluation. You will be notified once your IPEV documents have been assessed.
Step 5 - Instructions on registering for the CPA Reciprocity Professional Development (CPARPD) course will be sent to you once all other documentation has been received and reviewed. Once completed, submit the certificate of completion to CPA Alberta.
After we receive your certification of completion for the CPARPD course and you have completed the pre-assessment process, if eligible, notification will be sent to you so you may go online to complete the application process.
The requirements listed above are for the current MRA and are subject to change at any time.
Please note: Approval for admission to membership solely qualifies the applicant for certification as a CPA in Alberta; it does not provide the rights to practice professional or public accounting. All CPA members are required to meet Alberta’s Professional Accounting Firm Registration Criteria (PAFRC). More information in regards to the professional and public accounting requirements can be found on our website.