CPA Alberta is committed to providing internationally-trained individuals with fast, fair, transparent, and consistent assessment of their education and professional credentials.
Several agreements exist to allow members of international accounting bodies to become Canadian CPAs in Alberta.
Prior to the unification of the accounting profession in Alberta, there were three accounting designations:
- Chartered Accountants (CA)
- Certified General Accountants (CGA) and
- Certified Management Accountants (CMA)
Now referred to as legacy designations, each had its own set of Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) and Reciprocal Membership Agreements (RMAs) with international accounting bodies.
CPA Canada is currently negotiating recognition agreements with many international accounting bodies. Until these are complete, agreements between the three legacy bodies and international accounting bodies remain in effect.
The following international accounting bodies currently have an RMA agreement with CPA Alberta. If you are a member in good standing with one of these bodies, you may be eligible to earn your Canadian CPA designation.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ireland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
- The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The South African Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Zimbabwe
The following international accounting bodies currently have an MRA agreement with CPA Alberta. If you are a member in good standing with one of these bodies, you may be eligible to earn your Canadian CPA designation.
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos
- American Institute Certified Public Accountants (limited states)
- Certified Public Accountants of Ireland
The RMA and MRA agreements listed above are currently under renegotiation and may change at any time.
If you are a Canadian CPA seeking an international designation, please see the CPA Canada website for more information.