Career Placement, Networking & Employer Workshops
Career Advisors periodically host workshops for organizations, ranging in duration from 30 minutes to 2 hours, on a variety of employment related topics such as:
- Networking for Success
- The Job Search and Your Resume and Cover Letter
- LinkedIn Overview and how to use it in your Job Search
- Why an HR Manager is Afraid to Hire You
- Workplace Integration Resources Overview
Brown Bag "Later" Seminar: A Resume That Gets Interviews
Squeeze in a little learning before heading home for dinner! We have taken our Brown Bag Lunch concept and shifted it to evening time. Bring a snack if you need one to keep you going and attend an hour-long career development seminar, followed by a brief opportunity to network with fellow professionals. The event is free, and open to designated CPA members.
Even with the rise of social media and LinkedIn, resumes remain one of your most important career marketing tools.
Do any of the following apply to your resume?
- I lead with an objective statement.
- I use Times New Roman font.
- The document is longer than two pages.
- I include work experience prior to 1999.
- I end stating that references are available upon request.
If you said "yes" to any of these statements, this seminar will help you modernize your resume.
January 10, 2017
5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Brown Bag Lunch Seminar: LinkedIn for Career Transitions
Make your lunch hour truly powerful! Bring your lunch and attend a “brown bag” seminar, presented by CPA Alberta Career Services. The event is free, and open to designated CPA members.
LinkedIn is the most popular social network for professionals, used by organizations and individuals for brand management, business development, job search and recruiting. Few accounting professionals use the platform effectively, and this session will provide background and tools for improved personal presence and “brand management” in a competitive employment market.
In the seminar, you will learn how to:
- Create an impactful LinkedIn profile,
- Develop and enhance your presence and reputation by engaging effectively with connections and others, and;
- Network and connect strategically to research job and organization options, find career direction and get referrals.
January 17, 2017
12:00 noon - 1:30 pm
January 19, 2017
12:00 noon - 1:30 pm
Webinar: Overview of CPA Canada’s Guide on Adapting to the Canadian Accounting Workplace
CPA Canada’s Guide to Accounting Business Culture: Adapting to the Canadian Accounting Workplace is an interactive online course that teaches valuable workplace skills that will help you achieve success in the Canadian accounting field. This webinar will cover how the modules are used, including a live demo of the software. The modules cover seven topics of interest and are free for candidates in the CPA programs. A certificate of completion is awarded to those who fully complete all online modules.
January 25, 2017
12:00 noon - 1:00 pm
Webinar: Create a Resume That Gets Interviews
This webinar will help you modernize your resume. Whether you are unemployed, looking for a career change, applying for a volunteer Board position, or simply want to maintain an up-to-date resume, you will benefit from this session by learning:
- How online applicant tracking systems and electronic resume scanning work,
- The key components of an effective resume, and;
- How to showcase your technical strengths, soft skills and accomplishments.
Wednesday, January 11
12:00 - 1:00 pm MST