Practice Review Committee
The Practice Review Committee is responsible for
- Making decisions in respect to practice reviews, in accordance with the Chartered Professional Accountants Act (SA 2014, c C-10.2), Rules of Professional Conduct, Regulations, Bylaws, Directives, and;
- Approving procedures, maintaining communications with registrants and advising the CPA Alberta Board on relevant strategy and policy matters.
The Committee currently consists of 12 CPAs and one Public Representative and is representative of the sizes and locations of firms in Alberta. Committee members collectively possess the experience and technical knowledge needed to address the broad range of circumstances that come before it. This includes current knowledge of the standards in the CPA Canada Handbook, CPA Canada Public Sector Accounting Handbook, and CPA Alberta Directives in the areas of accounting, assurance, compilations and tax services.
All CPA Alberta Practice Reviewers are duly registered Chartered Professional Accountants in Alberta, are members in good standing, and have the necessary qualifications, competencies and experience to perform practice reviews.
New CPA Alberta Practice Reviewers
All new CPA Alberta Practice Reviewers are required to have the following professional experience by their initial practice review appointment:
- Five years of recent relevant public accounting experience, and;
- The following number of hours, accumulated over any three of the last five years, either directly or through persons under their supervision:
- a total of 750 hours of audit experience (audit as defined in the CPA Act) and;
- a total of 1,500 hours of review experience (review as defined in the CPA Act)
- Equivalent professional experience to provisions a) and b) above, as determined and evaluated by the Practice Review Committee
Continuing CPA Alberta Practice Reviewers
All continuing CPA Alberta Practice Reviewers are required to have gained the following experience over the last fiscal year:
- 112.5 hours of practice review experience or equivalent professional experience as determined and evaluated by the Practice Review Committee
If interested in becoming a reviewer or committee member, please email your bio to firstname.lastname@example.org.