CPA Alberta is the professional accounting organization in Alberta.
It operates under the provincial Chartered Professional Accountants Act, the purpose of which is to: protect the public; protect the integrity of the accounting profession regulated under the Act; promote and increase the competence of registrants; and regulate the conduct of registrants.
The body protects the public interest by:
- setting education and experience standards to become a CPA;
- setting education and experience standards to provide professional and public accounting services to the public;
- setting and enforcing high professional and ethical standards;
- promoting and increasing competence of members by providing a comprehensive program of learning opportunities;
- assessing the continuing competency of members;
- enforcing practice standards and rules of professional conduct of registrants; and
- providing a means by which complaints can be dealt with in a fair and expeditious way by investigating and adjudicating complaints against members.