Reciprocal Membership Agreements (RMAs)

In addition to being a member in good standing in one of the international bodies with an RMA agreement, you must:

  • Be a Canadian Citizen or legally permitted to work or study in Canada (for more information, visit the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship at;
  • Have been working in the accounting profession in the jurisdiction in which the international designation was obtained for a 2 year period, immediately before receiving your foreign designation (a reduction of this time may be requested, contact for further information).


Step 1: Complete the Pre-Assessment Questionnaire (PAQ) and email it to
  • Section 1 – personal information and citizenship status;
  • Section 2 – residency declaration – please provide where you were working in the accounting profession, and the number of years immediately prior to being admitted into membership;
  • Section 3 – Post Secondary Education – list any post secondary education you have – degrees/diplomas;
  • Section 4 – Professional Memberships - list all Professional Accounting Memberships you have, all questions in this section are mandatory;
  • Section 5 – Work Experience, list all work experience in accounting related fields;
  • Include a copy of your resume.

Step 2: While your Pre-assessment questionnaire is being reviewed you may request a verification letter to be sent from your professional accounting body. This letter must be sent directly to the CPA Alberta office listed on the PAQ, attention Member Registrations.

Once all documentation required has been received, reviewed and approved, you will be sent an application for membership form.

The requirements listed above are for the current RMA and are subject to change at any time.

Share this page  
Still have questions?
Attend a CPA Info Session