In addition to being a member in good standing in one of the international bodies with an MRA agreement, you must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or legally permitted to work or study in Canada (for more information, visit the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship at www.cic.gc.ca);
- Have been working in the accounting profession in the jurisdiction in which the international designation was obtained for a 2 year period, immediately before receiving your foreign designation (a reduction of this time may be requested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information).
- The first step for most MRA’s is determining if you are eligible for admission to CPA Alberta through one of the current MRAs is to complete the Pre-Assessment Questionnaire (PAQ) and email it to email@example.com. Please Note: the agreement with the Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos and American Institute Certified Public Accountants (limited states) has been updated and the PAQ process is no longer necessary. Please click on the links below to review the steps to apply for membership via this MRA.
How to complete the PAQ:
- Section 1 – personal information and citizenship status;
- Section 2 – residency declaration – please provide where you were working in the accounting profession, and the number of years immediately prior to being admitted into membership;
- Section 3 – Post Secondary Education – list any post-secondary education you have – degrees/diplomas;
- Section 4 – Professional Memberships – list all Professional Accounting Memberships you have, all questions in this section are mandatory;
- Section 5 – Work Experience – list all work experience in accounting related fields;
- Include a copy of your resume.
Your PAQ will be reviewed within 5 – 10 business days. Based on the results, you will be provided with guidance on your next steps.
For next steps for each MRA, please click on the international accounting body you are a member with: