Enhance Your Skill Set
Competent, intermediate level accountants are always in demand. For those who are looking for an alternative way to enhance their career potential, CPA Alberta offers the Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance (ACAF).
The ACAF qualification is the recognized national standard for intermediate-level accounting and finance positions. Developed by CPA Canada in consultation with employers, the ACAF will provide you with the job-ready skills that employers across the country value within the accounting and finance functions of their business. The ACAF program develops your skills in the areas most in demand: strong technical abilities, hands-on experience with industry specific software, and the soft skills needed to be successful in the workplace. The ACAF qualification was created to help individuals further develop skills learned in accounting diploma programs or through equivalent on-the-job experience.
Earning the ACAF can solidify credentials and enable advancement through intermediate-level accounting jobs in business, industry, and government, and even lead to CPA-supervised positions in public accounting. Gain the applied technical and soft skills most prized by employers – and earn the certificate that proves it.
- Nationally Recognized: CPA Canada is the country’s leading business and accounting educator, and the ACAF is designed to meet the needs of today’s business marketplace. The ACAF is the only nationally recognized intermediate accounting and finance certificate in Canada.
- Flexible and Self-Paced: The entire ACAF program can be completed in one year of full-time study, or part-time at your own pace. Entry courses and technical courses can be taken through the CPA profession or from a post-secondary institution.
- Career-Specific and Relevant Skills: Course content covers a range of applied and technical skills integrated with soft skills such as ethics and communications—all of which are highly valued by employers. The flexibility of the program enables students to specialize in the areas that are most relevant to their specific career aspirations.
- Accessible: The ACAF program is offered online and can be taken anywhere in Canada or around the world. Course exams will take place in-person and are offered across Canada and internationally in designated locations within Bermuda, the Caribbean, the Americas and Asia-Pacific markets.
- Bridging Program: The agreement between CPA Canada and Athabasca University’s Faculty of Business provides ACAF holders with advanced standing toward earning a Bachelor of Commerce Degree from Athabasca University. If successfully completed, this online bridging option will give students the degree and prerequisite requirements needed to enter the CPA Professional Education Program.
As an ACAF holder, you will be able to:
You may be eligible if you:
- Prepare financial information to support management decision making;
- Prepare financial statements and related disclosures for organizations with low to medium levels of complexity and a low level of uncertainty;
- Help prepare more complex financial statements;
- Support the development and maintenance of the organization’s management control and risk management systems;
- Calculate and report on financial and non-financial performance measures;
- Monitor and recommend improvements to accounting procedures, accounting information systems and internal controls;
- Monitor cash flow and cash flow requirements;
- Prepare budgets and forecasts for review by senior management;
- Prepare information for external auditors;
- Support the auditor in planning and executing the audit; and
- Help prepare tax filings, provisions, reports and disclosures and comply with remittance requirements.
- Have a 2 year accounting diploma; or
- Have the ACAF prerequisite courses; or
- Work in an accounting or finance function and are interested in further skill development; or
- Are an internationally trained accountant seeking Canadian applied accounting and finance skills.